2014 Munger Place Days

Historic Home Tour, Wine Walk and Preview of Homes, Symposium, Street Festival and Craft Fair
September 19-21, 2014


Munger Place Days includes a Historic Home Tour, Wine Walk and Preview of Homes, Street Festival and Craft Fair spanning 3 days. We begin on Friday, September 19th from 6:00 - 8:00 pm with our Wine Walk and Tour of homes. You will be touring 7 of our Munger Place Homes during the event. Tickets for this event are $25.00 if purchase in advance or $30.00 the day of the event. On Saturday and Sunday, September 20th & 21st from 12:00 - 6:00 pm The Tour or Homes and Historic Exhibits will be open to participants. The ticket price for this event will be $12.00 if purchased in advance and $15.00 if purchased the day of the event. On Sunday, September 21nd you can also enjoy our Street Festival and Craft Fair, which will include a Children's Pet Parade, Cookie Contest and Cakewalk. At the Street Festival we will be providing live music, a food truck court, and vendor show including jewelry, home décor, art, and vintage items. The homes that have been chosen for the tour this year have terrific history. View additional information about our event.

Munger Place Days Tour Addresses:



313 Collette
Built in 1916 as a Piggly Wiggly grocery store, this building was converted into two separate residences approximately 10 years ago. In between, it served as a Prohibition-era speakeasy, reverted to a Piggly Wiggly in the 1950s and 1960s, and was a bar or nightclub in the waning years of the last century. With its open, single-story layout, the 2550 sq. ft. home on the left has a distinctly urban, loft-like feel. It has three bedrooms and two baths; there’s a garage and large yard in back. The hardwood floors were reclaimed from a Hockaday School gym; the stained-glass windows mounted on a wall in the dining room come from an old Dallas church; and the brick used throughout the home for various accents had been used to pave the streets of San Francisco in the early 1920s.


4917 Junius
This year’s centennial house was completed in 1914 for – and by – Owen Hughes. An influential builder in early 20th-century Dallas, his firm erected the city’s first skyscraper, the Dallas Union Terminal, and the Scottish Rite Cathedral, among many other city landmarks and residences. As a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason, Mr. Hughes was no doubt proud of his home’s detailed exterior brick work. The Tudor façade reflects the English origins of the Arts and Crafts movement, while the geometric designs, the Rookwood fireplace, the gilded-plaster fixtures, and other fine details of the interior place it clearly within the Arts and Crafts era. The current residents are only the fourth owners, as the first and second owners stayed on in the house even while renting out rooms from the 1930s through the mid-70s. Look for the thoughtful, appropriate touches in the recently renovated kitchen and bath. And when you step up to the finished attic, imagine the sounds of Owen Hughes’ three daughters rolling across these same pine floors – they used the space as a skating rink.


5019 Victor
Though it’s not new, this charming house is a relative newcomer to Munger Place: It began its life on lower Swiss Avenue in 1920. On the verge of being torn down, it was moved to its present location in 1980 (whereupon a portion of the house fell off the foundation). It’s distinguished by a gambrel roof, an unusual style that’s echoed in the cutout façade of the second-story porch. The house retains many of its original features—the glowing hardwood floors, the gas fireplace, the pocket doors leading to the dining room. The master bedroom is a recent extension, the kitchen was redone in the 2000s, and the current owner replaced the particle-board exterior siding with lapped wood. A rear deck looks onto a tidy yard and garden with a detached garage.


5112 Victor
Unlike many of the homes in the Munger Place Historic District, 5112 Victor was built as a boarding house in the early 1920s, replacing one that burned to the ground in 1915. Said to be the favorite of engineers working at the Ford Motors plant downtown, the big house offered boarders all the modern conveniences: running water in every room, sleeping porches, easy access to street car lines, and “good meals served in large, cool dining room,” according to an ad in the Dallas Morning News in 1923.

In 1982, the late Raymond Poche and his family embarked on the daunting task of rescuing the vacant house, which had been damaged by fire and neglect. They reconfigured the bedrooms (removing piles of sinks and empty gin bottles in the process) and added a second stairway, but kept the unusual wood trim and original doors with much of their hardware. The paneling in the downstairs hallway came from a nearby office building that was being demolished. Some of the original cast-iron bathroom fixtures remain, as do the fireplaces, which were uncovered by the current owners. Also original are the parlor’s piano windows, pocket doors, and built-in bookcases.


4933 Tremont
This spacious 1910 home is a specially featured WORK IN PROGRESS. The current owner is practically single-handedly reclaiming this home from near ruin. When he acquired the property in 2011, wisteria vines had grown along the walls and ceiling inside the house and, he says, “In bad weather it rained harder inside the house than out.” Formerly an eight-unit apartment, this 4300 sq. ft. diamond-in-the-rough still needs some polishing, so home tour visitors will be stepping around stacks of reclaimed hardwood flooring, some spare toilets, and a few unique claw-footed tubs. Please be cautious. The tumble-down carriage house in back will soon be demolished, but it provides perspective on where this project started. Walls have been moved, several exterior doors have been sealed, and pine floors have been re-laid. Restoring this Prairie-style structure would be a daunting project for a team of seasoned builders; as it is, this home is testimony to one man’s vision, ambition, and effort.


4501 Junius
Saturday and Sunday Only. Grace United Methodist Church, built in 1903, holds city, state, and national historic status. As one of the best examples of Gothic Revival architecture in Dallas, Grace is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful churches in the city. The sanctuary is framed by 15 massive stained glass windows shipped from St. Louis when the church was built. Grace Church is the oldest continuously operating Methodist congregation in Dallas worshiping in the same location and has survived more than a century of change in East Dallas. For the past 20 years, the church has undergone restoration to return it to its original grandeur.


5011 Victor
Saturday and Sunday Only. 5993 is where you can learn about the history of our neighborhood.