Built in 1916 as a Piggly Wiggly grocery store, this building was converted into two separate residences around 2004. In the intervening years, it served as a Prohibition-era speakeasy and reverted to a Piggly Wiggly in the 1950s and 1960s. When the light is right, the letters of the store’s name may still be made out on the brickwork along the side. In the later 1900s, the structure saw service as a bar/nightclub, catering to a clientele that most are glad to see gone from the neighborhood.
With its open, single-story layout, the 2,550 square-feet home on the left has a distinctly urban, loft-like feel. It has three bedrooms and two baths; there’s a garage and large yard in back. As you climb the few steps from the main living area toward the kitchen, look for traces of boundary markers; the hardwood floors were reclaimed from a Hockaday School gym. Other features in the home were also sourced from uncommon venues: the stained-glass windows mounted on a wall in the dining room come from an old Dallas church, and the brick used throughout the home for various accents had been used to pave the streets of San Francisco in the early 1920s.