Woods, Windows, and Wings


This “airplane bungalow” is another uncommon specimen within Munger Place. The style earned its name from the “pop up” second floor of only one or two rooms, said to resemble the cockpit of some early planes. But that is just one of its many distinctions. For 20 years it was home to renowned glass artist Jim Bowman and his wife, Mary. As a result, whimsical details wink at visitors from various and unexpected corners of the house.

The home dates to 1911 and the original owner was in the lumber business. He had the foundation made of redwood, the floors made of oak and pine, and one of the upstairs closets completely lined in cedar. Other noteworthy timber can be found outside in the form of massive elms in the backyard and an unusual deodar cedar shading the front.

The address was a multi-family structure as recently as 25 years ago and still bears some evidence of an exterior staircase and door to the second story. Although walls have been moved and the house has been reshaped several times in more than a century, central air and heat have never been built into the house; instead, several high-efficiency, ductless cooling/heating units are mounted discreetly about the house. Many of the walls have been stripped down to the shiplap, and recent renovations include a new foundation, an updated kitchen, an outside shower, and many other fixes here and there – most done by the current owner’s father.