Built in 1907, this classic Prairie-style four-square was one of the first two houses on this street and is among the oldest in the district. A look at the wide photo in the front room suggests that the first occupants, Rose and Joseph Durham, enjoyed the luxury of the trolley that ran down nearby Collett at that time. Mr. Durham worked for the managing agents who sold and marketed the original lots in Munger Place and by 1962 the family had lived in four different houses in this same block. Ernest Haeber – pharmacist and proprietor of Haeber’s Pharmacy on Elm Street – and his wife Olivia lived here from 1926 until 1957. Subsequent occupants were not as kind and, in 1981, Munger Place Realty advertised the house for $40,000, “as is.” Following two years of renovation, the same firm offered it for $170,000 – a fine return on an investment in the future of Munger Place.

Many of the home’s original features remain, including the hardwood floors and a few fixtures, and the floorplan has changed only slightly over time. A bay window opens up the breakfast room/family-gathering spot addition off the kitchen, the hall from the entryway to the kitchen was closed off to create a downstairs bathroom, and the upstairs sleeping porch was converted to the master bathroom and a sitting room. The classic feel of the house has led to a few star turns in TV commercials. Befitting the era before air-conditioning, residents and visitors alike are enticed outdoors by a front porch swing, a pleasant side yard, and a backyard patio laid with turn-of-century bricks.