Behind the ornate, neo-classical façade of this 1909 (or maybe 1910) home lies an oft-remodeled foursquare. The original owners – the Griffins – apparently sold the home within a year to the family of Seaborn Y. Matthews, whose Matthews Bros. Clothing store on Main Street offered the straightforward slogan, “Good Clothes That Fit.” The house changed hands several times in its first decade and was owned in turn by a dentist, a physician, a furniture executive (from 1920-1950), and then a carpenter/contractor (1952-1975).

By the time Patsy and Hank Stephenson rescued the home from decline in 1980, striped awnings had been added over every window and then removed again, an upstairs kitchen had been installed, and the load-bearing wall dividing the two front rooms had been demolished, leaving a pronounced sag in the downstairs ceiling.

The extensive renovation involved re-establishing that load-bearing wall, combining three upstairs bedrooms into a single master suite, opening the attic space as a walk-up with skylights, and adding a den. The current owners turned that den into a billiards room and – within the last few weeks just before this home tour – finished their kitchen renovation by installing leathered-granite kitchen countertops and created an adjacent mudroom/wine room.