4921 Victor Street


Touring inside this home as prospective buyers in 2016, the current homeowners had to tread lightly to avoid falling through the floors to the visible ground underneath. For a decade or more, the house had been neglected and vacant – not counting the extended family of raccoons residing in the attic. All-new plumbing was called for, as was a complete update of the knob-and-tube wiring. The 1910 house was also fitted for central air conditioning for the first time in its long history. Layer upon layer of wallpaper was removed (only small scraps could be salvaged without crumbling), revealing the sturdy shiplap beneath; this has been left exposed in the breakfast nook and stairwell. Likewise, interior brickwork appears here and there within the house. Where they had been covered with a thin oak laminate, some of the original pine floors were salvageable.

The home had been a multi-family dwelling at times, so there was a surplus of front doors. These have been put to inventive use elsewhere within, and a former pocket door now hangs, barn door-style, in the family room. Two repurposed screen doors in the kitchen reveal a pantry and a laundry room. The kitchen also features a period-appropriate O’Keefe and Merritt stove, soapstone counters, and a pine-topped island. To accommodate a large family, the floorplan has been reconfigured, with the former back porches both enclosed to create a modern master bath downstairs and an airy general-purpose room upstairs. In fact, from windows to doors and wall to floors, nearly every aspect of this classic Craftsman has been laboriously rehabilitated, breathing new life into what has been home to many over more than a century.

History of 4921 (and, sometimes, 4923) Victor Street: The house was built in 1910-1911 for William F. Miller, a collector for John Hancock and Co. In 1919, the Joseph J. Holliday family lived in the house briefly. Mr. Holliday and his son, both realtors, were likely the house flippers of their day; they bought, lived in, and/or sold several homes in the neighborhood around this time. Later that year, Ettie and Oscar Hill True bought the home for $11,500 and lived there with their two children until at least 1930. Oscar was Secretary Treasurer for Dallas Service Stations and Treasurer for Parkmoor, which dealt in “automobile garage storage, washing, tires, oils, gasoline, batteries, etc.”

By the mid-1930s, the home had been partitioned (this block of Victor has always included multi-family dwellings). From 1943 until 1950, Bennie Wyatt – with Wyatt Metal and Boiler Works – owned and lived in part of the home, renting out the other side of what was then a duplex. By 1956, the home had been divided into three apartments. The house had been vacant for at least a decade when the current residents acquired it in the summer of 2016.