4926 Junius Street


Sitting near the center of a stately, tree-lined block, this house fairly glows with a warm shade of butter yellow, and the comfortable wraparound porch proves inviting all year round. From 1914 to the present, music has been a persistent theme in this very well-preserved, classic four-square. The first owner, Mrs. Mary Keehan, gave lessons in the music room and there’s been a piano in that room ever since. Among the original features reflecting 100+ years of loving care are the light fixtures, the pocket doors, the picture rails, and pine floors. The few successive owners have each passed along a small collection of house memorabilia, which will be on display. Although most features in the neighborhood were custom-built, the hearth and mantle are almost identical to those in another of this year’s tour homes. The garage serves as a family exercise and game room, and the upstairs sleeping porch has been converted to a home-office overlooking the swimming pool, which was added by the current owners in 2012. On your way up the stairs, admire the hand rail – salvaged from an Oklahoma hotel. (Feel free to ask the owners why it was installed upside-down.)