4939 Tremont Street


Upon acquiring this 1913-era, 3200-square-foot house in June of 2016, the young family on this cozy corner lot added walls to form rooms, lowered ceilings to add HVAC, and created consistent flooring throughout. The foundation had slipped by more than a foot in some places, and a few large, space-obstructing columns and beams were found to have no structural purpose. Luckily, one of the homeowners is an architect with the vision to recognize the promise held within the appealing exterior. A shady, wraparound porch – featuring a stout balustrade and unusual capitals – is partly concealed by magnolia trees and a thick stand of bamboo. Updated landscaping is in the planning stages, particularly for the backyard, but those projects must wait their turn. The house comes with plenty of stories. A 1940s news article describes the two alligators found under the house. It seems to have once served as a professional building of sorts, with offices for a dentist, a chiropractor, and more. It had a reputation as the neighborhood “party house,” in the 1970s. More recently, it was the home and gallery of artist David McManaway, who was “renowned for his use of assemblage and his ability to breathe new life into discarded objects.” Following its many incarnations, the new owners sense that the house is happy to be a house again